So I fired up the 16K Spectrum today, bought from eBay last week. Only to discover the usual problem, bloody keyboard membrane is broken on the bottom left side.
Bugger I thought! Bastard eBay I thought!
So I re-checked the listing and there it is, tucked in the small print: “Some keys don’t work” – That will teach me to buy something late at night whilst reading the description with blurred tired eyes 😦
Anybody who has attempted to replace the keyboard membrane of an original 1st gen Spectrum will realise that you virtually have to destroy the machine to do so.
Anyhoo… I just had a brain fart! I have 3 or 4 empty Spectrum 48K+ keyboards, without motherboards; I wonder if they fit?
Well, yes they do! It’s exactly the same architecture inside the Speccy+
W00t! 10 minutes later I have a perfect working 16K Spectrum in a shiney Speccy+ case. Re-attached the ribbon cables and job done!
I am happy as a pig in poo 🙂
But what use is a 16K Spectrum anyway? Not much! but at least it is working 🙂
What ya looking at?
Latest and greatest
- @CurrentlyHannah Another one saved in the "Want to go" list on google maps. Thanks :) - 1 week ago
- What a great idea! well done fellas. Ticket purchased. @MindCharity #F1 twitter.com/LandoNorris/st… - 1 month ago
- @LandoNorris Fuck yeah! Well done fella #F1 @McLarenF1 - 2 months ago
- Chassis default 21? Multi-21? :) #AskCrofty @SkyF1 #F1 @MBrundleF1 - 2 months ago
- RT @Lord_Sugar: Big error giving @theJeremyVine an interview. Ch5 edited it deliberately to make me sound bad. Other media loving it. Th… - 3 months ago