So I fired up the 16K Spectrum today, bought from eBay last week. Only to discover the usual problem, bloody keyboard membrane is broken on the bottom left side.
Bugger I thought! Bastard eBay I thought!
So I re-checked the listing and there it is, tucked in the small print: “Some keys don’t work” – That will teach me to buy something late at night whilst reading the description with blurred tired eyes 😦
Anybody who has attempted to replace the keyboard membrane of an original 1st gen Spectrum will realise that you virtually have to destroy the machine to do so.
Anyhoo… I just had a brain fart! I have 3 or 4 empty Spectrum 48K+ keyboards, without motherboards; I wonder if they fit?
Well, yes they do! It’s exactly the same architecture inside the Speccy+
W00t! 10 minutes later I have a perfect working 16K Spectrum in a shiney Speccy+ case. Re-attached the ribbon cables and job done!
I am happy as a pig in poo 🙂
But what use is a 16K Spectrum anyway? Not much! but at least it is working 🙂
What ya looking at?
Latest and greatest
- Survived 800 years of numerous wars, disease, death, pestilence, plague, religion, famine, invasion, bombing, Nazi'… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 5 days ago
- #DriveClub servers closing next year. 50% refund for everyone then, right? @Playstation Oh well, back to #MarioKart… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 5 days ago
- This and The Chaos Engine #retrogaming #Commodore #Amiga twitter.com/AmigaRetweets/… - 6 days ago
- Mine too. Christmas of 1981. With a memotech 16k ram / 3D monster maze / Psion Flight simulator. Hours of fun!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 1 week ago
- @Holzkernwatches I have a real problem with your watches!!! They are all too beautiful, I can't choose which one t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 1 week ago