So I fired up the 16K Spectrum today, bought from eBay last week. Only to discover the usual problem, bloody keyboard membrane is broken on the bottom left side.
Bugger I thought! Bastard eBay I thought!
So I re-checked the listing and there it is, tucked in the small print: “Some keys don’t work” – That will teach me to buy something late at night whilst reading the description with blurred tired eyes 😦
Anybody who has attempted to replace the keyboard membrane of an original 1st gen Spectrum will realise that you virtually have to destroy the machine to do so.
Anyhoo… I just had a brain fart! I have 3 or 4 empty Spectrum 48K+ keyboards, without motherboards; I wonder if they fit?
Well, yes they do! It’s exactly the same architecture inside the Speccy+
W00t! 10 minutes later I have a perfect working 16K Spectrum in a shiney Speccy+ case. Re-attached the ribbon cables and job done!
I am happy as a pig in poo 🙂
But what use is a 16K Spectrum anyway? Not much! but at least it is working 🙂
What ya looking at?
Latest and greatest
- @Se_Railway Okie dokie. Thanks. Been a hard few days for everyone. Congrats on doing your best. - 1 month ago
- Anything stopping at Teynham today folks? @Se_Railway - 1 month ago
- @Se_Railway Nothing stopping at teynham today folks? London bound or coastbound? - 1 month ago
- Congrats @Se_Railway at maintaining schedule today. 07.21 to work is dead on time. Well done all. - 1 month ago
- @PhoebeRSmith Snowdonia too :) #ExploringHome #PassionPassport https://t.co/RMpBC7iWIh - 5 months ago