So I fired up the 16K Spectrum today, bought from eBay last week. Only to discover the usual problem, bloody keyboard membrane is broken on the bottom left side.
Bugger I thought! Bastard eBay I thought!
So I re-checked the listing and there it is, tucked in the small print: “Some keys don’t work” – That will teach me to buy something late at night whilst reading the description with blurred tired eyes 😦
Anybody who has attempted to replace the keyboard membrane of an original 1st gen Spectrum will realise that you virtually have to destroy the machine to do so.
Anyhoo… I just had a brain fart! I have 3 or 4 empty Spectrum 48K+ keyboards, without motherboards; I wonder if they fit?
Well, yes they do! It’s exactly the same architecture inside the Speccy+
W00t! 10 minutes later I have a perfect working 16K Spectrum in a shiney Speccy+ case. Re-attached the ribbon cables and job done!
I am happy as a pig in poo 🙂
But what use is a 16K Spectrum anyway? Not much! but at least it is working 🙂
What ya looking at?
Latest and greatest
- #Japan... I <3 you x Thanks for being so awesome https://t.co/uWEbcAOJ42 - 2 weeks ago
- #DaveGrohl When can we have the 7 minute version with vocals? :) youtube.com/watch?v=e05H80… @foofighters - 2 months ago
- Every time this guy takes a shit he flushes away more talent than I will ever have, at anything. So fucking cool… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 2 months ago
- I think if Lance Stroll shaved his eyebrows he would gain a couple of 10th's per lap :) #GermanGP #F1 - 2 months ago
- @RetroGamerDaz @gamesyouloved @RetroGamersClub @Retr0Joe @gamesfreezer @RetroBoyJon @arcadeattackUK @Lord_Arse… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 2 months ago