So I fired up the 16K Spectrum today, bought from eBay last week. Only to discover the usual problem, bloody keyboard membrane is broken on the bottom left side.
Bugger I thought! Bastard eBay I thought!
So I re-checked the listing and there it is, tucked in the small print: “Some keys don’t work” – That will teach me to buy something late at night whilst reading the description with blurred tired eyes 😦
Anybody who has attempted to replace the keyboard membrane of an original 1st gen Spectrum will realise that you virtually have to destroy the machine to do so.
Anyhoo… I just had a brain fart! I have 3 or 4 empty Spectrum 48K+ keyboards, without motherboards; I wonder if they fit?
Well, yes they do! It’s exactly the same architecture inside the Speccy+
W00t! 10 minutes later I have a perfect working 16K Spectrum in a shiney Speccy+ case. Re-attached the ribbon cables and job done!
I am happy as a pig in poo 🙂
But what use is a 16K Spectrum anyway? Not much! but at least it is working 🙂
What ya looking at?
Latest and greatest
- Today is a good day to game :) #AnimalCrossingNewHorizions #FinalFantasyVIIRemake Thank you @shoptonet And… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 1 day ago
- @MetalJesusRocks Never apologise for humour. The world would be a darker place without the funnies. And most will f… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… - 2 days ago
- Raid on Bungeling Bay... awesome game #retrogaming #commodore twitter.com/sanxion/status… - 1 week ago
- Done... #retrogaming twitter.com/BreakIntoProg/… - 1 week ago
- Battle of the Planets. :) twitter.com/gamesyouloved/… - 2 weeks ago